Tuesday 5 June 2018

Research Trip 2018 (3)

Today was a dedicated shopping day with a trip over to West Wales and Carmarthen but I was able to return to Rhayader via a small place called Llys-Wen between Brecon and Builth Wells. As I arrived there, I realised I had been here before; always travelling through but never stopping. 

I wanted to call in here to see if I could find any confirmations about David Jones, my great great uncle and son of Richard (the first) Jones. The David Jones who lived at Llys-Wen married Louisa Newman, the postmistress in 1879. I'm presuming this is 'my' David as his profession is given as blacksmith and his father's name is given as Richard Jones, profession, blacksmith. On subsequent censuses he gives his place of birth as Llananno which also helps to confirm my thinking. 

My only misgivings are that later a second christian name appears- Timothy - although this is this paternal grandfather's name. Looking him up on findmypast led to reports in the Western Mail on 23 June 1915: Mr David Jones, Llyswen Breconshire, was found drowned in the River Wye early on Tuesday morning. He went to the river to bathe on the previous evening. The deceased was the village postman and smith and had lived in Llyswen over 40 years. He was 60 years.

On 24 June 1915: An inquiry was held in the parish hall. Miss Ophelia Jones, daughter, said that when he left the house Monday evening he told her he was going to the river to bathe. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

Two years later, tragedy again hit the family when David and Louisa's son, John Jones, serving with 11th Battalion South Wales Borderers was killed in action in France on 31 July 1917. He's commemorated on a panel at the Menin Gate, Ypres and the memorial in St Gwendoline's Church in Llys-wen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment