Sunday 14 October 2018

Second Research Trip 2018

This time I'm in Weardale, Co Durham. I'm going to check up on records at Durham Record Office  with regard to the Brown and Little side of the maternal family tree. The Browns, I've mentioned before but I've neglected the Littles. Sarah Little married Thomas Lumsdon Brown on 15 Sept 1859 in Darlington but both families lived in St Helen Auckland, close by Bishop Auckland. 

I'm eager to learn more about the Little family who moved over to County Durham from Cumberland in the late 1830s. I think they moved 'en famille', so probably 12 family members made the trek across the north Pennines to St Helen's Auckland/West Auckland. They worked in the Durham coalfield but I don't know at this point whether any of then were involved in mining in Cumberland. William Little (Sarah's father) is listed as a labourer in the 1841 census (in County Durham) and in later censuses as a cartman. 

Anyway, tomorrow, I'm off to the Records Office in the city of Durham to check up on the parish records in St Helen Auckland. I'll also be checking other County Durham records for the Stratford family, the Russells and the Fairs of Stockton-on-Tees. Lots to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment